Tuesday, June 14, 2005

I was Powerless

Two years ago, I had tried and was trying everything I knew - to stop drinking. I couldn't do it even with the incentive of losing the love of my life. Not even for 24 hours.

The Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous says it best:

Here are some of the methods we have tried: Drinking beer only, limiting the number of drinks, never drinking alone, never drinking in the morning, drinking only at home, never having it in the house, never drinking during business hours, drinking only at parties, switching from scotch to brandy, drinking only natural wines, agreeing to resign if ever drunk on the job, taking a trip, not taking a trip, swearing off forever (with and without a solemn oath), taking more physical exercise, reading inspirational books, going to health farms and sanitariums, accepting voluntary commitment to asylums --- we could increase the list ad infinitum.
ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, FOURTH EDITION, page 31

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I use to say it's noon time somewhere in the world. Thanks for you comment. It means a lot to me. I am grateful for you.
Peace,
JJ

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Hm. A nice air-conditioned sanitarium sounds enticing at this point!

Mr. HK
Postcards from Hell's Kitchen.