Sunday, June 26, 2005

A Deadly Premonition

When I was about 8 or 9 years old, I had a premonition that I would die at age 46. It was such a strong feeling that I just accepted it for all of those years. As doomyear aproached, I had told only a few close friends of my impending death. My health was good but I was still completely convinced my time on this planet was nearing its end. I wasn't afraid to die but I was curious how it would happen. As it turns out, I am still living, apparently. The universe isn't through with me yet.

It almost was though. Twice. Here is the first example.

Five years ago, I was living and working in Lagos, Nigeria. I was living in one of the city's nicest hotels and had a meeting one day with a vendor. We met at the bar late afternoon to discuss an upcoming delivery. After having a couple of drinks, my friend was ready to leave; he had dinner planned at home with his wife and family and asked me to join them. He would take me and bring me back home afterwards. As usual in these situations, I declined (it would take away from my drinking time). We said our goodbyes and he left.

The following morning when I got to the office, I learned the news. My friend from the night before had been killed on his way home from work, just minutes after he left me. On the freeway; in a terrible car accident. An overloaded lorry(18-wheeler to Americans) had toppled its load and flattened my friend's car while travelling 60 mph. (this is not at all uncommon in many parts of Africa)

I suddenly realized that I was the last human being my friend had spoken with before his death. But for my selfish and alcoholic decision to remain behind and drink by myself, I would have been in that vehicle as well.

The year was 2000.
My age - 46.

3 comments:

One Drunk to Another said...

My breath is always taken away at the absolute powerlessness we have over the moment at which life is taken and given, despite our best efforts to control it. And I fought for so long against admitting I was powerless! I laugh now at how foolish I was. Thanks for the story!

Suzanne, still alive after 30, against my predictions

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Wow.

Scott W said...

I'm glad you didn't go that way, you have lots of things to get done. Of course, the most important is helping me to stay sober.