Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Happy Birthday Lisa

Today is Lisa's 53rd birthday. She's my sister and is 21 months older than I. We were both adopted. From different birth parents.

We've grown apart somewhat over the years although we both live in the same city. We're still great friends, just have totally different lives and interests. We get together 4 or 5 times each year on holidays. We don't speak much on the phone because I hate telephones. We both love our mother very very much and show it in different ways.

Lisa is an alcoholic. Untreated. For years now, she only drinks at home. This is a good thing, especially for all the drivers and pedestrians in Harris County. One of her other addictions is homes. She has owned a number of homes the past 15 years. Buy a home. Live there a year. Sell and move. To the next one. I've lost count, but it's probably been 6 homes in the last 5 years. She's never satisfied. The bedroom isn't big enough. The yard isn't big enough. The brick is not the right color. I don't like my neighbors etc...

One thing I have learned in AA is to be happy with what I have. And I have so much. I have my sobriety.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LISA.

3 comments:

Scott W said...

I have a sister named Lisa too!

GodlessMom said...

Happy Birthday to Lisa. Family can be so trying and so wonderful at the same time.

Recovery Road London said...

I think (know) my Dad is an alcoholic (functioning). But I have to keep remembering I'm powerless over people/places/things....