Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Small world




todAAy i AAm grAAteful & thAAnkful

that I'm going to an AA meeting at 6:30am (as I do every weekday) where we will read a few pages of The Big Book and then discuss what we read

that I have daily interaction with people that I would not normally mix, but I need other recovering alkies in my life as often as possible

that I attended the funeral of a lifelong family friend yesterday. He was 83 and had been ill for over 10 years. I had not seen his children in 30+ years. We ran around together through our teen years, drinking and smoking the hooch. Yesterday, while talking to one of them at the chapel, she mused that her Mom had mentioned that I'm now a friend of Bill W. I assured her that I was and had partied until I was 49 years old and now had 5+ years in recovery.
That's when she told me that she had just celebrated her 32nd year of sobriety. LOL

that I don't feel the need to be in New Orleans for Mardi Gras; Rio de Janiero or Port of Spain for Carnival (too many people, too much drinking and petty crime)

If you have made mistakes, even serious ones, there is always another chance for you. What we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down.
-Mary Pickford

11 comments:

Pammie said...

Oh how I wish I lived close to a 6:30am meeting.
Enjoy your day Dave darlin'.

Anonymous said...

i don't like to be around drinking now - i hate it.

Mary Christine said...

I am also glad you are not in New Orleans, Rio de Janiero, or Port of Spain today.

Scott W said...

That police composite looks like you with sunglasses, mask and hood.

Of course, it could also look like me or a billion other folks.

Scott W said...

That police composite looks like you in a hood, sunglasses and mask.

Trailboss said...

I think that guy is the one that took the army jeep. Oh, sorry Dave, I see that is you. So sorry.

Trailboss said...

So, you are repeating yourself, so you are repeating yourself, so you are repeating yourself. Glad I don't do that, glad I don't do that.

Syd said...

Good for your childhood friend who has so many years. And good for you Dave. I would like to see Carnival one time I think. That would probably be enough.

Bill said...

I talked with an 83 year old man last week who has 58 years of sobriety.

Zanejabbers said...

You are definitely one of those drunks I enjoy being around - but then we are sober. Good story about you and your friend being Bill W's friend. Different paths leading to the same garden.

Anonymous said...

I really liked that Mary Pickford quote. So simple.