Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Belling the Cat



The Mice once called a meeting to decide on a plan to free themselves of their enemy, the Cat. At least they wished to find some way of knowing when she was coming, so they might have time to run away. Indeed, something had to be done, for they lived in such constant fear of her claws that they hardly dared stir from their dens by night or day.

Many plans were discussed, but none of them was thought good enough. At last a very young Mouse got up and said:

"I have a plan that seems very simple, but I know it will be successful. All we have to do is to hang a bell about the Cat's neck. When we hear the bell ringing we will know immediately that our enemy is coming."

All the Mice were much surprised that they had not thought of such a plan before. But in the midst of the rejoicing over their good fortune, an old Mouse arose and said:

"I will say that the plan of the young Mouse is very good. But let me ask one question: Who will bell the Cat?"

Moral: It is one thing to say that something should be done, but quite a different matter to do it.

a fable by Aesop



todAAy i AAm grAAteful & thAAnkful

for the things I get that I didn't know I needed

for the things I don't get that I think I wanted

that I love to share my experience of recovery with anyone who's willing to listen

that I love to hear about the recovery experience of others

One can not reflect in streaming water. Only those who know internal peace can give it to others.
- Lao Tzu

4 comments:

Syd said...

Knowing the difference between what I need and what I want is important. I believe that I understand that now.

steveroni said...

Ooooooh! That "streaming water" thing!

Love Eesop.

Love hearing others' experiences.

Mary Christine said...

Thank God for the Third Step.

Brad said...

Nice story!

I just started posting again at my blog: www.thisunmanageablelife.com