Friday, July 09, 2010

Anonymous Rant



todAAy i AAm grAAteful & thAAnkful

for reminders about personal ANONYMITY in the program of A.A.

The internet should be treated the same as any other media. Tradition 11 reads, in part ...
... "we need always maintain personal anonymity at the level of press, radio and films."

I bring this up for several reasons. (1) I attended a meeting at the International Convention about anonymity on websites. It made me realize how often I personally have violated this tradition. (2) Earlier this week, a friend posted Facebook pictures of a July 4th swimming party and identified the people in the pictures as members of AA and CMA. When I brought it to his attention as a violation of this tradition, he said everyone does it so it's OK. (3) Only yesterday, I looked at a recovery blog where the writer identifed themself as an AA member and then posted pictures of themself. It goes on and on.
I mention this not to embarrass anyone but to remind us that we must be more careful, including me.

Have a lovely Friday and weekend.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
- Martin Luther King, Jr.


3 comments:

Mary Christine said...

Thank you Dave.

Unknown said...

We are reminded in my home group that I can tell whomever I want that I go to Alanon, I just can't tell about anyone else. I chose to leave behind my anonymity years ago. I post my picture on my blog and share about my path (which includes Alanon). I do not break anyone else's anonymity by word or picture. In Alanon, someone's safety can be compromised, so I take this very seriously. It is what keeps our rooms a safe place to be.

♥namaste♥

Kathy Lynne said...

very very true. I've had some AA members that I have chosen to be friends with "slip" and post comments mentioning AA on my facebook wall...and I've had to gently remind them, some more than once....then it becomes about me and who I chose to be "friends" with.