Tuesday, July 06, 2010

observations




todAAy i AAm grAAteful & thAAnkful

for the meetings I attended at the convention. Topics included ...

... emotional sobriety - a friend from Houston was there whom I've know since I first entered the rooms. She hates me because of a wrong perception of something she thinks about me (contempt prior to investigation) and would not even acknowledge me when I said hello as she sat with one of her sponsees. At a meeting on emotional sobriety. I want nothing of her 20+ years. A reminder that everyone has a lesson for me.

... AA websites and anonymity - this is causing me to be much more aware (and hopefully careful) about the information I put on the internet, including social-networking sites.

... healing with laughter - there were about 3000 members at this meeting. After opening with the regular readings, the chairperson (jokingly) asked that we go around the room and indentify ourselves. Got a big laugh. LOL


Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see.
- Martin Luther King, Jr.


9 comments:

Pammie said...

It was so great sitting with you, eating popcorn at an AA meeting in the Alamodome!!

Em said...

I am so grateful for the people who are sharing their convention experiences. thank you dAAve :)

Jess Mistress of Mischief said...

Our district is doing a workshop on AA anonymity in the digital age this quarter, I've volunteered to coordinate it. I'm interested in anything that helps me to do more and understand more in this area :)

Carverlane said...

I went to the AA website and ordered 7 (so far!) MP-3's of the talks I missed. Emotional Sobriety was one of them. They say it will take about 3 weeks before we can download them, but what a deal at $3 each!

Kim from sAn Antonio

Syd said...

It is hard to believe that someone at such an event would not be "big" enough to say hello. I wouldn't want what she had either.

steveroni said...

About convention: Me, too. Sll good, even GREAT, except for one disappointment. Thank God for a program which includes a "dumping ground"...

It was such a pleasure to meet you, David--and three meetings in Houston at Lambda were just like home, very special.

Thanks for your hospitality.

I'll try also to be careful with others' anonymity--and mine!

Mary Christine said...

It is always nice to sit next to you Dave - and I agree with Kim's assessment of yesterday - handsome.
:)

Todd HellsKitchen said...

I heart Joe Biden!!

Cheers,
Todd HellsKitchen
Postcards from Hell's Kitchen

Kathy Lynne said...

thanks for sharing...esp about the internet aspect...since my introduction to AA was through an online group and these blogs as well..it is a very important issue to me....not sure I EVER would have entered a hall without it..but the social networking stuff..is a whole nother ball game....

and thanks Kim for the info on availablitiy of mp3s