Sunday, May 28, 2006

My Mom, the pack rat

As I've mentioned a number of times the past few months, I am selling my Mom's home. She is now living in a nursing home and receiving skilled nursing daily. She lived at that house for 43 years, since 1962 when she and my dad designed the home with the help of an architect.

Mom is a pack rat. Of the highest order. If something non-edible went into that house, it rarely came out of it. I found bills from the '60's and '70's filed away. Bank statements that have not seen the light of day in 30 years. Hundreds of prescription bottles bagged up and stored away. Empty bottles, of course. Calendars from the 80's. I could go on and on and on.

Here's a couple of pretty neat items I had not seen in years.

Revere model 85
8mm film projector
circa 1956

I checked it out on eBay and it would only sell today for about $100. I used this projector extensively as a teenager making home movies. Our family vacations were played over and over on this old thing. The camera quit working years ago.


1954 model Electrolux vaccum cleaner

eBay says only about $20.
Oh well.

But it still works.
Today's vacuums might last 10 years if I'm lucky.

Amazing stuff.

5 comments:

Scott W said...

Fortunately for you and me some 1954 models last longer.

JJ said...

I need a new vacuum too.
I see you,
JJ

Gooey Munster said...

Wowsers, it is like experiencing the many wonders of a museum. Thanks for sharing these priceless items.

lash505 said...

Flash back, Wow they don't make products like they use to. Sell for higher on ebay, you wil get the higher price..

dAAve said...

*** I only looked it up on eBay to see what it might be worth. There's no way I'd sell it. If I run across someone who is a collector and would give it a good home, I would give it to them.