Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Journey onward

I was born on St. Patrick's Day. A few years ago. The last decade of my drinking, my birthday was celebrated at Griff's, which has a HUGE Paddy's Day party. I always said that 5000 of my closest friends attended my birthday party. Of course, during most of those celebrations, I was too drunk to really remember them, much less appreciate them.
Today, my most cherished birthday celebration is that of my years as a sober, recovering alocholic. I can remember and appreciate these sober years.
And that is a miracle, my friends.

todAAy i AAm grAAteful & thAAnkful

for all the wonderful gifts and comments from you guys in bloggerland

for my buds at the Eyes Wide Shut group of Alcoholics Anonymous who showed up for my little birthday yesterday

for the wonderful gestures from the folks at the 12:15pm Unity Group yesterday -- I was asked to share about my 3-year milestone and completely lost it (I snivelled and slobbered for a few seconds) when I acknowledged that Jesse (a great friend with whom I worked and drank) and Hayden (who I lived with and drank) were present in the room and had watched my incomprehensible demoralization first-hand, but they stuck with me through it all

that these days, I sometimes experience incomprehensible serenity

for the special 3-year chip given to me by my bestest friend Scott

that we have a full complement of volunteers to work the coffee bar @ Lambda for the next 12 days

that I discovered where to find reruns of GREEN ACRES at 6:30pm

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

13 comments:

Greg said...

Green acres is the place to be :) farm livin is the life for me :) I love that show :) mornin dAAve :) Happy day after your birth day :):):) 3 is my favorite # and I too am a march baby the 13'th :) have a good day yfg

Mary Christine said...

New York! is where I'd razzer stay! I get allergic smelling hay!

Where did you find Green Acres? I LOVE Green Acres!

Happy beginning of your 4th year!

Scott W said...

I just adore a penthouse view/Darling I love you, but give me Park Avenue

Green Acres is my favorite rerun, even before Perry Mason (who is my hero).

You are also a hero, dear friend. It was a pleasure to spend time with you yesterday.

JJ said...

Green acres is the place for me.
Farm livin' is the life for me.
Land spreadin' out so far and wide.
Keep Manhattan, just give me that countryside.

Good morning bro! Welcome to the beginning of your 4th year. I love you and see you,
JJ

Unknown said...

I am with Scott, give me Park Avenue.

Congrats again dAAve. That was SOME par~tay.

What a beautiful piece from Scott.

I have a few friends that stuck by me too. What a gift.

Anonymous said...

Another inspiring post by an inspiring human...glad you enjoyed your cyber party and the entire day with friends.I am love the bond you and Scott W share too..awesome:)
Have a fab' day..thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

"keep Manhattan, just gimme that countryside......" to LOOK at for a few minutes and then RUN back to the city!!!! Had enough of farm livin' myself!
Geez, dAAve, Green Acres? I took you for more of a Seinfeld or Bernie Mack kinda dude. lol.
Nice party--even nicer that none of us are hung over today!
Happy day after your AA birthday. I thought of you often yesterday. You have a big impact on my recovery and I am grateful for your ESH.
Peace,
Scout

Shannon said...

I sooo love green acres too HA!
me and Nana would watch those reruns and my 3 sons in the morning of summer vacation back when I was 9... I was 9 in 1984 LOL

lash505 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
lash505 said...

Weird.

Alcoholic Brain said...

Happy B-day dAAve!! You've earned your seat!

Sober @ Sundown said...

Happy Birthday, Blog Friend! Thanks for being so consistent in blogland. I can always count on you to life my spirits.


I need both the country and city........

Anonymous said...

very powerful words to me early on:
incomprehensible demoralization

yuck. glad it's been a while since i've felt THAT.