Saturday, September 16, 2006

Leaving the City of Regret

~ a short story ~

I had not planned on taking a trip this time of year and yet I found myself packing rather hurriedly. This was going to be unpleasant and I knew in advance that no real good could come out of it. I’m talking about my annual guilt trip.
I got tickets to fly there on Wish I Had Airlines. It was an extremely short flight. I got my baggage, which I could not check as I chose to carry it myself all the way. It was weighted down with thousands of memories of what might have been. No one greeted me as I entered the terminal to the Regret City International Airport. I say international because people all over the world come to this dismal town.
As I checked into the Last Resort Hotel I noticed they would be hosting the year’s most important event, the Annual Pity Party. I wasn’t going to miss that great social occasion! Many of the towns leading citizens would be there.
First there would be the Done family. You know, Should Of, Could Of and Would Of. Then came the I Had family, you probably know of Wish and his clan. Of course, the Opportunities would be present-- Missed and Lost. The biggest family would be the Yesterdays, there are too many of them to count, but each one would have a very sad story to share.
Then Shattered Dreams would surely make an appearance and It’s Their Fault would regale us with stories (excuses) about how things had failed in their life, and each story would be applauded by Don’t Blame Me and I Couldn’t Help It.
Well, to make a long story short, I went to this depressing party knowing that no real benefit would come of it and as usual I became very depressed. As I thought about all the stories of failures brought back from the past, it occurred to me that all of this trip and subsequent pity party could be canceled by me. I started to truly realize that I did not have to be there, I didn’t have to be depressed. One thing kept going through my mind - ‘I CANT CHANGE YESTERDAY, BUT I DO HAVE THE POWER TO MAKE TODAY A WONDERFUL DAY’. I can be happy, joyous, fulfilled, encouraged, as well as encouraging. Knowing this, I left the City of Regret immediately and left no forwarding address. Am I sorry for my mistakes I’ve made in the past? Yes, but there is no physical way to undo them.
So if you’re planning a trip back to the City of Regret please cancel your reservations. Instead take a trip to a place called Starting Again. I liked it so much that I have taken up residence there. My neighbors, the I Forgive Myself’s and the New Starts are so very helpful. By the way, you don’t have to carry around heavy baggage, because the load is lifted from your shoulders upon arrival. God bless you in finding this great town. If you can’t find it, it’s in your heart.
Please look me up, I live on I Can Do It Street.

7 comments:

Greg said...

Good Morning dAAve:):):) Thanks for being an encouragement to me:) Yet another post that smacks me up side the head. thanks.
mC yfg

Mary Christine said...

Isn't it nice that we have a way of life that is happy, joyous, and free?

Pam Jarnagin said...

dAAVE!!! This is an AWESOME post!! Would you mind if I printed it and shared it with someone I met at a meeting the other night? She doesn't think she's an alcoholic, but wanted to know what "you people" (the rest of us in the room) did with the guilt we must feel. Of course, they say that no one ends up in the rooms of AA by accident...

Tennessee Santa said...

Very well put. I will cancel my trip Today

Carly said...

WOW! Love it!

tkdjunkie said...

Awesome story. This is a keeper!

Thank you for sharing :)

JJ said...

Powerful stuff my friend. ((((dAAve)))))
I see you,
JJ