Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Hope


This is Jessie.

I came out of my first retirement in late 1997 after 5 years of sitting on a barstool. It was time to get back to work. I re-entered the same industry I had left in '93, just with a different company. I worked closely with Jessie. It turned out that we had worked with many of the same people in a number of countries, including in Holland, Senegal and Nigeria.
We're both retired now but continue to chat over coffee at irregular intervals. We had coffee together yesterday. Jessie's Mom died on Monday.


todAAy i AAm grAAteful & thAAnkful

that Step 3 plays such a huge part in my conscious being - "Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him."

for a full and productive morning with my Mom, prepping her and taking her to a dentist appointment

for discussions with friends about spirituality and finding a higher power -- these are things I knew nothing about until I was 49 years old

that to get it, I have to give it

for my good friend of the past 10 years, Jessie, who lost his Mom on Monday after her long battle with ill-health

that I rarely feel my age; more like half of it, which makes me 26.6 years old

that tomorrow is HNT -- git yer pix ready!

What great thing would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?
-Robert Schuller

16 comments:

Pammie said...

How lucky for Jesse to have an old friend to spend time with...after his loss. Being of service to others comes in many different forms.....doesn't it?

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Jesse looks like a fine pal. Sorry about his Mom though...

Love that Schuller quote... He's the only tele-vangelist that I found made good sense.

Redhead Gal said...

Friends are key, aren't they? I am learning a different meaning of friendship in the program.

Mary Christine said...

Sorry to hear about Jessie's mom, but glad he has a wonderful friend like YOU!

Scott W said...

Sending Jesse best wishes.

lushgurl said...

What a beautiful tribute to Jesse- my prayers are with him today.
I feel about half my age too, I guess that makes me 22.5- with a sixteen year old daughter!!

Anonymous said...

i LOVE that quote: "what great thing would you attempt if you knew you would not fail?" it's so motivating!

Recovery Road London said...

Yo, Jessie. :(

26.6 years? I could have swore you were 26.73957656. What's a few weeks between friends, eh?

ArahMan7 said...

Sorry about Jesse's Mom.

Tabitha.Montgomery said...

I have noticed you can be of any age Daave.Sometimes your age when it comes to taking care of Mom and sometimes half that when cracking jokes with us..that isn't a bad thing..I think that is a rather virbrant vitality ya got there Daave! Thanks for sharing ~

Tabitha.Montgomery said...

forgot to type "your" before Mom..still not done coffee sorry.

piglet said...

being in contact with jessie sounds like a god thing :)

third step is saving my ass lately.

Clarity said...

What Tab said.

Meg Moran said...

God Bless you Jessie!

Zanejabbers said...

Dave, give Jessie my regards. I have enjoyed meeting him and sharing dinner with him and the rest of us. This is going to sound like a Miss America contestant but
"World Peace and Abundance."

Anonymous said...

26.6 in your dreams - do you really want to be that age again?