Friday, May 25, 2007

Removing layers


The A.A. Meeting ...

The more I focus my mind on on its defects -- late start, long drunkalog, cigarette smoke -- the worse the meeting becomes. But when I try to see what I can add to the meeting, rather than what I can get out of it, and when I focus my mind on what's good about it, rather than what's wrong with it, the meeting keeps getting better and better.

When I focus on what's good today, I have a good day, and when I focus on what's bad, I have a bad day. If I focus on a problem, the problem increases; if I focus on the answer, the answer increases.

ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, (4th edition) page 419


todAAy i AAm grAAteful & thAAnkful

for a very informative and productive meeting with the nursing and administrative staff at my Mom's nursing home

for some occasional calm amidst the chaos

for the willingness to evolve in a more positive way instead of remaining static

that I don't intentionally break the law

that I am hosting a small AA meeting in my home today

Every man has three characters: that which he shows, that which he has, and that which he thinks he has.
-Alphonse Karr

9 comments:

Mary Christine said...

I hope everyone will focus on the positive at the meeting at your home. Happy Friday.

Pam said...

Your post gave me a memory flashback. When I had about 6 months sober, I called my sponor and told her how much I disliked the meetings I was going to...for the VERY same reasons in your post. She said "well it sounds to me, like you fit right in there...just one more negative alcholic in a meeting full of negative alcholics". I started to cultivate a positive attitude...it was exhausting work...now it's a habit. ;)

lushgurl said...

Gawd, I remember the first time I read that in the BB- I thought, finally, someone knew how I felt about stupid meetings! Today, I read it through to the end...I am so grateful to see the good around me!

Kari Sullivan said...

Thank you so much for that post!!!! I've been sober for just over 6 months and I go to some meetings and it's all I can do not to walk out. I thought I was supposed to feel connected to others in these meetings (and sometimes I do), but a lot of the time, I still feel isolated.

Your post has given me some food for thought about how to have a better experience in these meetings.

Thanks!

Peace out!
Kari

Sober Steve said...

When I focus on what's good today, I have a good day, and when I focus on what's bad, I have a bad day. If I focus on a problem, the problem increases; if I focus on the answer, the answer increases

Thanks,,, I was living in the bad today. moving towards the answer

peace

Zane-nawwaa said...

I see why you asked if I had read your blog earlier. I luv it when someone 12 years my junior, leads me. "and a child shall lead".
LUV YOU.

Tab said...

that is a good thing you only stick to unintentionally breaking the law Daave..good on ya eh!

lash505 said...

amen to that brother daave..

Syd said...

A great idea to have a meeting on the bridge. I think that I come away from every meeting with something positive. I'm grateful for that.