Monday, July 27, 2009

off in the distance ...


During their walk on the lunar surface one of the astronauts (probably Buzz Aldrin) snapped this photo of the Lunar Module with Earth almost directly above.

todAay i AAm grAAteful & thAAnkful

that sobriety brings me more perspective

for a fulfilling and exhilarating experience as guest speaker at an AA meeting in Austin, Texas. The last 2 times I "told my story", I was 15-20 minutes short of the alloted time period. Saturday night, however, the words seemed to just flow and I could have easily spoken for another hour I think. Instead of telling about my drunken days and nights, I focused on the unmanageable feelings of obsession and behavior behind my alcoholism.
It felt really good to get some of that stuff out in front of a group of recovering alkies.

that Steps 1, 2 and 3 got me sober

for lunch @ Luby's with the guys & girls


Nothing lowers the level on conversation more than raising the voice.
- Stanley Horowitz


9 comments:

Pammie said...

I'm so glad you had a good experience telling your story. I think it's awesome and humbling to be able to speak to a large group.

Bill said...

I would have loved to have been there in Austin! I have no doubt that you tell your story in an honest & inspiring way.

Wow. Leaving a nice comment wore me out. I'll probably fall asleep at work today.

Anonymous said...

i'm so glad you had such a good experience in austin.

i did NOT give beau a sloppy kiss from you, but i did him a regular kiss and hug. :)

Mary Christine said...

Luby's at noon? I'll be there! I wish.

Scott W said...

You were obsessional and behaviorally challenged, too?

Gin said...

I'm really embarrased to tell you that the whole lunar picture took me a minute.

Glad your speaker night went well. Great topic!

Syd said...

I'm glad that you spoke about the feelings and behavior and not the drunkalog part. I can identify I'm sure.

Anonymous said...

15 - 20 minutes short? Here that's the maximum usually... LOL...

Sober Guy

steveroni said...

Nothing gets people to listen more attentively than lowering the voice.

Bet it was a great talk, feelings and behaviors. Good for new members, also.