Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Acceptance is the answer




todAAy i AAm grAAteful & thAAnkful

for the incredibly beautiful weather these past few days (since the hurricane)

that I attended a lot of meetings lately centered around ACCEPTANCE. Fortunately.
So, without further adieu ...

And acceptance is the answer to all my problems today. When I am disturbed, it is because I find some person, place, thing, or situation -- some fact of my life -- unacceptable to me, and I can find no serenity until I accept that person, place, thing, or situation as being exactly the way it is supposed to be at this moment. Nothing, absolutely nothing, happens in God's world by mistake. Until I could accept my alcoholism, I could not stay sober; unless I accept life completely on life's terms, I cannot be happy. I need to concentrate not so much on what needs to be changed in the world as on what needs to be changed in me and in my attitudes.
Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th edition, page 417

'nuff said

Laughter is inner jogging.
-Norman Cousins


10 comments:

Syd said...

The guy in the chair didn't keep his eye on the ball(s) for sure.

Acceptance is important but not when you're stuck in a chair naked.

Mary Christine said...

Why didn't they carry him back into the cold water?

peanut said...

Dear dAAve,
I thought (mistakenly) that you celebrated your AA birthday a couple of months ago. I'm sorry I missed it.
Good for Boston ! What a wonderful miracle you both are.
I received your house warming invitation, thank you. I am planning on coming and will be early and not stay too long.
Happy (belated) 5 years in AA !

Scott W said...

That's the only jogging I like.

Those must have been some really low hangers! LOL

Akannie said...

ROTFLMAO....put him back in the water??? oh, MC...how could anyone resist going at a guys nutsack with a pair of shears?? lol

Thanks dAAve for the acceptance reminders.

(PS--I love Norman Cousins)

Trailboss said...

I am so glad I don't have things in strange places that hang down.

steveroni said...

This is second time today I've read this piece, but it's not ever too many times for me to hear.

Acceptance, Serenity, Peace, Change, Attitude, all are wonderful idea-words which I had never heard before arriving at the AA door.

I remember a guy who used to call us the "Double A"--no one has seen him since, about 11 years ago.

Banana Girl said...

I am grateful today that I do not have balls. Of any sort....Good to know you got through Ike and that you are ok. OK is sometimes all we really need. Now I am going to go work on my wants.....and see if I really need them. Thanks for your humor. It refreshed me. BG

J-Online said...

Exactly what I needed to hear today. Thank you

Zanejabbers said...

Cool.