Monday, September 15, 2008

Grateful





I composed this post on Sunday evening from Lambda Center. I scheduled it for publishing at 0500 today. We still don't have electricity at our home and have no idea when it will be restored. Most of Houston is without power.

Here's a couple of pictures I took with my cell phone during the storm. The one on the right is a palm leaf draped over a power line.


todAAy i AAm grAAteful & thAAnkful

that very few people in Texas were killed or injured during Hurricane Ike; unfortunately, that was not the story in the Caribbean

that on Saturday evening, I went to Lambda Center early (6pm) for an 8pm speaker meeting. There were about 12 others sitting in the lobby chatting and telling war stories (from the Hurricane) and we decided to have an impromptu AA meeting. It was great and was a poingnant reminder of the "we" of the meeting. This continued all day and night Sunday. There were at least 100 people who came and went through the doors of Lambda during the course of the day. People who had no electricity at home. They came and charged their cell phones and brought their laptops. Some brought food so it would not go to waste. Some cooked pasta for whoever wanted or needed to eat. Hayden and I spent about 12 hours there. The fellowship and comraderie were almost magical.

that I met some of my new neighbors on Saturday as we as we all got out and helped each other clean up the debris from the street


The wishbone will never replace the backbone.
-Will Henry

11 comments:

Syd said...

Thank goodness you are okay. And that your damage isn't huge. I've seen video of Galveston and it is terrible to see. Reminds me of the aftermath of Hurricane Hugo here.

Mary Christine said...

It is so wonderful to read about the meetings... those are the best meetings.

So glad you are OK. And so glad you are keeping us posted.

J-Online said...

What a wonderful AA experience during a very difficult time.

Trailboss said...

I am glad you are safe Dave. So is on his way home today. I hope his electricity is on when he gets home. It has been very stressful on all.

We actually had Ike come through w.ky yesterday. I thought I had left all that behind on the coast but it found me!

Tabitha.Montgomery said...

That's a great way to make a good first impression on your new neighbours Dave.They will never suspect you are a Russian spy..lol

Tabitha.Montgomery said...

That's a great way to make a good first impression on your new neighbours Dave.They will never suspect you are a Russian spy..lol

Scott W said...

Made it back to Houston today. Do you have power yet? I don't but R and J do and I will be there.

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Glad to hear you're good!

Anonymous said...

Ditto what Syd wrote above.

I will not tire of reading Houston's hurricane "war stories". Hopefully others will relate experiences of this past weekend--and the long road back to "normalcy".

Pammie said...

I'm diggin' the cool temps. brother.

Anonymous said...

glad you are well, and i love those impromptu gatherings with other people. the down side to disasters, is that it will bring people together in the neatest ways.

when i first saw the pic on the right, i thought it was fishing lure :)