Sunday, February 28, 2010

Riding the Beast

The Beast is a wooden roller coaster located at Kings Island in Mason, Ohio. It is currently the longest roller coaster in the USA and the longest wooden roller coaster in the world. It sprawls over 35 acres. It was also one of the fastest and tallest roller coaster in the world when it opened in spring 1979.

The Beast has been constantly rated as one of the top roller coasters in the world since it first opened, having earned itself a cult-like following among coaster enthusiasts. Even after more than 30 years, it is still one of the main attractions at King's Island, located at the rear of the park in the Rivertown section. To date, over 40 million riders have ridden The Beast.

10 comments:

Garykfc said...

Thanks for the thrill ride this morning!

Mary Christine said...

That is a heck of a roller coaster!

Scott M. Frey said...

I'm an hour from King's Island, never been there lol I am a Cedar Point Guy. I do however, appreciate the ride this morning sir! I didn't even spill my coffee :-)

Jess Mistress of Mischief said...

From personal experience I say, "YEE HAW!"

Syd said...

I am glad to not be riding a roller coaster today.

Bill said...

I didn't keep my hands on the bar.

Unknown said...

My husband is from Ohio and mentions this every now and then. I love rollercoasters..real ones...where I can get off at the end of the ride and do it again!

namaste

Trailboss said...

There is no way I could EVER even think about riding that thing. I honestly think I would die....literally.

steveroni said...

Cincinnati was my home, so during visits, King's Island was on the menu. I remember frequently at the top of that first climb, I'd yell out
"What the "F" am I doing up here?"

But then we all piled back into line for another trip. Thanks for THAT memory, Dave.

Unknown said...

I was there the opening season! Just graduated from Tates Creek high school in Lexington, Kentucky and drove there in my 1966 Ford Custom 500 on a double date and "Rode the Beast".