Friday, April 11, 2008

Happy Birthday, Lambda Center


This weekend, Lambda Center, here in Houston, celebrates its 30th year of operation. It's a big deal because hundreds of lives have been saved here, including yours truly. It's a big deal because this building is wholly supported by contributions from alcoholics and drug addicts. Today's operating costs often exceed $9000 per month. It's a big deal because there are more than 40 gay-oriented AA, Al-Anon and CMA meetings each week. And it's a big deal because it may be the finest such facility in the world. If you're in town tomorrow, please join us from 4pm -9pm.

todAAy i AAm grAAteful & thAAnkful

for the gifts of being present

for an extremely busy, yet peaceful week

for a really nice day, mostly spent with my better other half

I am using my second new computer this week. I only got it partially configured last night and don't yet have my old files and folders loaded. This one has sound and everything else a young woman older guy wants to have.

Imagination is the highest kite one can fly.
-Lauren Bacall

9 comments:

Bill said...

Have a good time at the Lambda celebration! Not only saving lives, but equipping them with Serene-O-Matic® transmissions.

I like the quotation from Betty B.

Anonymous said...

congrats on your new computer. i can't wait for the celebration at lambda!

Pammie said...

When I first got sober, I was down in Montrose at a guitar shop and went to Lambda for a 12:00 meeting. I called my sponsor that night and told her about it, I said "It was a great meeting, but all the guys seemed gay to me". My sponsor said "Keep coming back".

Scott W said...

Dang, Pam made me shoot coffee from my nose!

Mary Christine said...

I would have to agree, Lambda is a very special place. Easily the nicest AA Clubhouse I have ever been to. Happy Birthday to Lambda!

Syd said...

Happy birthday to Lambda. It sounds like a terrific place. Glad that you solved the computer problems. Have a great weekend and celebration.

peanut said...

dAAve, Lambda. The two just seem to go together !

Have a fun celebration and thank you for your service.

Happy Friday, Dave.

Zanejabbers said...

DUDE! Goood day to you, enjoyed the two meetings with you today. Enjoy the ball game. Love Lambda.

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary LAMBDA Center. It is beautiful that recovery can be found anywhere. Some day I may need your resources if I am out that way. To me that brings much comfort.

Have a wonderful celebration. All of you help to keep it alive for others to find life!