Thursday, April 24, 2008

(very) slow progress



todAAy i AAm grAAteful & thAAnkful

that my Mom continues to hang in there, although she rarely seems to recognize me anymore

for problems and the challenges they bring forth to make life interesting

for solutions to those problems

that my low self-esteem issues have been at the forefront lately, forcing me to confront them

that I thought I grew up in a very normal home as a child;
I suppose I did compared to many others

WORRY/FEAR

"Consult not your fears but your hopes and your dreams. Think not about your frustrations, but about your unfulfilled potential. Concern yourself not with what you tried and failed in, but with what it is still possible for you to do."
-- Pope John XXIII

"The fear is worse than the pain."
-- Shannon Bahr

"Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold."
-- Helen Keller

"Anything I've ever done that ultimately was worthwhile initially scared me to death."
-- Betty Bender


8 comments:

Bill said...

Them there's some handy sayin's, Mr. Dave. Much obliged.

I don't even know what's going on in my own mind at times until hours or days later. I have no doubt that your visits continue to comfort your mother long after you have left the room.

That cartoon perpetuates the myth that shoe size is an indicator of the size of other things. Jeez! Why, look at me, I have small feet, and...er...uh, nevermind.

Pammie said...

I think my feet are about a normal size...my toe nail polish is called "billion dollar red."
I love those quotes!!
I'm going to copy them.

Mary Christine said...

My toe nail polish is called "Brisbane Bronze" - I wonder what that means?

Syd said...

Dave, I know how hard it must be with your mother. Mine was 95 when she died and I miss her still. And I know about the self-esteem and the fears too. One good thing is that things do get better in God's time.

Trailboss said...

I can relate to your situation w/your Mom. Our mother hung on for almost 9 years not knowing anyone or anything around her. That last day though, I swear she heard every word I said and knew exactly what was going on and she was at peace. That, I believe, was God's gift to us both.

Zanejabbers said...

Daave, I do identify with your self esteem issues. Your Mom is so blessed to have you for a son.
I loved the quotes, especially Betty Bender. Luv ya.

Tabitha.Montgomery said...

Sending you and your Mom lots of love Dave.It is difficult to see someone we love start to fade-but the bond you two share is still bright and will always be there.
xo

As for your self esteem issues,
Yep.We are all a work in progress.
And I am ok with that-How about you?!

BTW.I have big feet and there is no trail between my track marks when I walk in the snow.Just need to be clear on that - K ?
LOL ;P

Patricia Marie said...

Thanks for the quotes.