Wednesday, December 09, 2009

on getting calibrated



todAAy i AAM grAAAteful & thAAnkful

that I use the 6:30am meeting each day to recalibrate myself -- that is a word I've been searching for (subconciously) for several years; a word to describe what I get from most of the AA meetings I attend

for a good reminder of how I felt for decades -- that "alcohol was my friend and I would follow it to the ends of the earth." Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th edition, page 448

"I thought I would die with a drink in one hand and a cigarette in the other" -- me, 2009

that I haven't had an affair with Tiger Woods, yet

Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or to lose.
- Lyndon B. Johnson


11 comments:

Scott M. Frey said...

lol I could use a wee bit of extra recalibration these days lol

Jess Mistress of Mischief said...

beautiful quote, and I love the "recalibrate" idea, it goes right along with tolerance :)

Pammie said...

He's been trying to get your phone number from me but I wasn't sure if I should give it out.

Scott W said...

LOL @ Pammie! I cannot remember what my mind read when I saw the word recalibrate, but it was something I cannot mention in such an appropriate environment.

JeremyRT said...

I had to look up the word calibrate - one of those I've heard but never knew the true meaning of.

I love your example of it.

Just give it time, I'm sure Tiger will need a rebound

Syd said...

I never thought about recalibrating myself but I have done it with instruments.

Skip Tiger--save yourself for someone who would appreciate you.

Shannon said...

I too get recalibrated from meetings!!!! THANK GOD!

Ed G. said...

Um, re: T.W. - are 'ya bragging or complaining?

Love the recalibration simile (or metaphor or whatever).

Blessings and aloha...

Mary Christine said...

I wonder if one of the bimbos coming out of the woods-work will be a man....

Zanejabbers said...

Recalibrate - I like that. Never would have thought to use it in this context.Stop by, I'm posting again. Hope you and Mr. H. are making up for lost time.

Anonymous said...

alcohol was my friend and I would follow it to the ends of the earth.

i don't think i've ever really heard this before, though i've heard it many times, i'm sure....