Sunday, June 24, 2012

Letter from Bill W



A letter from a group in Chicago which was mailed to Bill W. in 1960 taking his inventory. Below is his response (he was 25 years sober at the time):

"That you seemed disillusioned with me personally may be a new and painful experience for you but many members have had that experience with me. Most of their pain has been caused not only by my several shortcomings but by their own insistence on placing me, a drunk, trying to get along with other folks, upon a completely illusionary pedestal; a station which no fallible person could possible occupy.
"I'm sure that you will understand that I have never held myself out to anybody as either a saint or a superman. I have repeatedly and truthfully said that A.A. is full of people who have made more spiritual progress than I ever, or can make. That in some areas of living I have made some decided gains but in others I seem to have stood still. And in others, still other ways I may have gone backwards. I am sorry that you are disillusioned with me but I am happy that even I have found a life here."

2 comments:

marie said...

cool.

Syd said...

Awesome response. I will remember that everyone around me need not be my HP.