Friday, June 01, 2012

Things on my mind this morning



todAAy i AAm grAAteful & thAAnkful

that I have a working knowledge of AA's twelve traditions.  Yesterday, in a meeting, the topic was Tradition 11.  "Our public relations policy is based on attraction rather than promotion; we need always maintain personal anonymity at the level of press, radio, and films."  I won't go into the various interpretations I've heard, but I'm really glad my sponsor forced me to read and discuss the meaning of these traditions back during my early recovery.  I have attended 2 tradition meetings each month of my sobriety and was lucky enough to attend a workshop on "Anonymity and the Internet" at the 2010 International Conference of Alcoholics Anonymous.

that I'm pretty good at having an objective attitude on most subjects; I'm usually able to see both sides of an argument.  I'm currently having to do this regarding a situation in my life this week.

that I had a really good, long talk with a new sponsee.  A sponsee who has been trying to stay sober for 11 years.  I sure do hope he's ready and willing to do whatever it takes.  A fourth DUI isn't going to be pretty.  Especially at 33 years old.  I'm really trying to impress on him about changing people, places and things.  I've always heard that if nothing changes, nothing changes.  Hey, that's pretty simple, eh?


Science may have found a cure for most evils;
but it has found no remedy for the worst of them all --
the apathy of human beings.

- Helen Keller

1 comment:

Syd said...

I'm glad that my sponsor and I spent time on the traditions too.
Working through stuff in a relationship takes work.