Friday, October 14, 2005

The All-Nighter

I have never understood the point - or the reason - of going out late at night and staying up as long as possible.

When I drank, I got started early and usually finished relatively early. I finished early because I was either passed out or almost passed out. I'm talking about by 11pm or so. Sometimes I could make it til around midnight.

One reason I loved living in England was because the pubs closed at 11pm. Perfect. For me. Go home at 11 and get a decent night's sleep before starting work at 6am. But even when I was not working (for 5 years) I kept that same schedule. It worked for me as I'm a morning person anyway.

I bring this up because of this post by Joe.My.God. He tells of being invited to perform at a club but then everything shutting down shortly after midnight because everyone was too tired or too loaded to watch a performance.

It's not just my age because I have always been this way. But today, age has a lot to do with it. Even at our AA Center, I go home by 11pm. Ready for bed. Of course, I'm always by myself and don't have to compromise with anyone else on this.

hmmmmmmmmmm...

4 comments:

Trudging said...

Oh my God I thought I was the only one. On my second date with my now husband I stayed up until 5:00 am, I knew something was up.

JJ said...

In my drinking days I not only closed down the bar at 2AM but I was usually so good in with the owner that I sat there drinking more after just about everyone had gone home and the place was locked up. It was nice though to look up and see "Mr. Police working paid detail" sitting across the bar drinking too. Lovely huh?
JJ

GodlessMom said...

I'm a serious morning person. In fact, I'm pretty useless after 10:00 pm. I regularly wake up by 5 without an alarm. Fortunately I'm married to another morning person and we are the parents of a morning person. Evenings are pretty lame around our house!

Nick Moretti said...

Not sure why, but the older I get the less sleep I seem to need. I usually survive on just 3 hours of sleep a night. I wake up at 4am and go to bed around 1am. Not sure of that makes me a morning person, a night person, or a freak.