Monday, September 24, 2007

Discipline

is the principle behind the Ninth Step of Alcoholics Anonymous.


I heard early on in recovery that nothing changes if nothing changes. It took a little while for this to sink in, but now I get it.

In order for this alkie to stop drinking, I first had to become aware that alcohol was making my life miserable. Nothing else, just alcohol. Then I had to become willing to do something about it. Such as stop drinking! Once I had stopped, it has taken the discipline to continue working a program of recovery, which includes making many chages in my life and lifestyle.


todAAy i AAm grAAteful & thAAnkful

that I could be part of a successful fundraiser for the 2007 Houston Roundup which was held at Lambda Center Saturday night; I think it raised about $6000 over a 2-hour period

that my life today is better than it was when I was drinking


for a pretty quiet weekend, mostly by myself

that my sister and I met up at my Mom's nursing home, merely by coincidence

that I have yet to make a list of my pet peeves; why be negative?

that I didn't go ballistic when I was wronged by a retail salesperson (in my previous life, I would have yelled and cursed until I had made more than a complete fool of myself)

that I have never been in a police chase

Security is not the absence of danger, but the presence of God, no matter what the danger.
-Anonymous



10 comments:

Scott M. Frey said...

g' mornin' dAAve, hAAve a greAAt MondAAy!

Pammie said...

The first really profound thing I heard in a meeting...and still is: If you don't drink, you won't get drunk. I found that to be the first thing to "sink in". I hope your day is full and sweet.

Kathrin Ivanovic said...

I absolutely love your quote! I have been struggling with God a lot....and wow!

Thank you!
Kindly,
K.

Kathrin Ivanovic said...

Thanks - I have a temporary sponsor, until I can feel people out and find someone I can trust.

I wouldnt quite say that I am happy, but I am less scared than yesterday.....which is an improvement. I have a problem with thinking "everything is ok/solved" when I feel better, but I have to stick around because there is a lot of work I have to do.

Anywho - have a great day!
K.

Mike said...

Thanks for being...

Mike

Mary Christine said...

I am grateful you can write a grateful list after stepping in cat puke!

peanut said...

Dear dAAve,

Happy Monday !

I feel sooo much better today than yesterday (mentally).

What a difference a day makes. Glad I haven't given up before the miracle.

Love your post today. Love you, too

Scott W said...

Bunny threw up a little yesterday, but I was lucky and didn't step in it. I know, rub it in!

Syd said...

It's a good day today and unless I decide to think my way into making it bad, it will remain good. Great gratitude list today, including the police chase information.

Unknown said...

Hey, I have never been in a police either! Happy Monday dAAve~