Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Willingness ...

is the sixth principle behind the Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous.

As much as anything, I'm grateful that I was willing enough NOT to give up 5 minutes before the miracle.

My beginnings in AA were not pretty I was only willing to attend some meetings; I had NO intention of stopping drinking. It wasn't until I became willing to try something new that I began making any real progress.

This seems to remain true today with everything I do.


todAAy i AAm grAAteful & thAAnkful

for some new realizations of the connection between progression - obsessions - compulsion as those things relate to my alcoholism and alcoholic thinking and behavior

that my self will does not run quite so riot these days

that I usually try to take my fellows feelings into consideration

that Designer Girl is back from rehab - check out her blog It's a Girl Thing

for some real progress with the bathroom remodel -- the sheetrock is all up now

Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it.
-Maimonides

9 comments:

Pammie said...

Dave, we both woke up willing this morning and wrote about it :)
It amazes me how much progress one can make in life with the simple mind set of willingness. Of course, I don't know why it amazes me...I see it everyday in our rooms.

Scott W said...

The truth sets us free. Mmmm hmmm.

Anonymous said...

man, i feel like some days my self will runs riot a lot. it's good to have you as a friend, daave.

Mary Christine said...

Good Morning Daave.

Syd said...

If I'm not willing then I can't progress at all. It's been my willingness in this program that has helped me move forward. It is essential to all that I do.

Tabitha.Montgomery said...

"for some new realizations of the connection between progression - obsessions - compulsion as those things relate to my alcoholism and alcoholic thinking and behavior"

The above states truth for us recovering codependents Dave.
I learned this behaviour from an alcoholic.And now spend the rest of my life unlearning it.With lots of progress when I practice daily.
Your blog helps me to do that Dave.
xo

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Would love to hear more about the progression -> obsession -> compulsions
association realization thing...

Unknown said...

It is such a miracle how we change. Soo freakin cool. Thanks for sharing Mr~

G~

Scott M. Frey said...

I'm jsut grateful taht you were willing enough to stick with it and become sober, and become my friend!