Monday, September 10, 2007

Honesty ...

is the principle behind Step One of Alcoholics Anonymous.

Some prefer to think of it as being "cash register" honest. I think this means that we don't out-and-out steal from others. But there are so many more levels of honesty - or dishonesty.

Am I honest with myself? Always? Or do I try to justify or rationalize situations so I don't have to look at me? Am I ignoring a person or event because it might be too uncomfortable to deal with? Do I tend to just sweep problems under the rug? Let somone else fix it.

I guess we could all write books on this subject.

It's worth giving thought to -- every day.


todAAy i AAm grAAteful & thAAnkful

for the good half of mood swings

for a productive Board meeting at Lambda yesterday


for a completed assignment from a sponsee -- regarding patience -- something I always need to know more about

for reminders of why I go to meetings

for the new topic on SOBRIETY SOCIETY - drop by and throw in your sense

for Dr Wayne Dyer on PBS

for quiet nights at home with my favorite person (other than myself)

for the video tributes I have seen the past few days for Luciano Pavorotti -- I am not an opera fan, but his talent seems to transcend that -- I can watch him for days hours minutes at a time

Reputation is character minus what you’ve been caught doing.
-Michael Iapoce


7 comments:

Pammie said...

Hi daave, loved the last quote. I hope you enjoy your Monday.

Mary Christine said...

If I were honest, probably the book wouldn't be very long.

Scott W said...

That is NOT your hand.

Syd said...

Honesty is a big defect for me. I keep putting it back in the God box everytime that I pull it out. I need to be more honest in my dealings with my SO. That is a main source of my discomfort.

peanut said...

Dear dave,

my conception of honesty has expanded in the AA program too.

I always thought it was just not taking what isn't mine.

AA has shown me there are so many facets to it. I'm still not always honest in areas. Brutal honesty isn't the way. Sometimes I just have to stay silent because I don't want to be dishonest and, that's ok until I learn a different way to say my truth.

msb said...

Thank you Daave for always being here.

Tabitha.Montgomery said...

xo