Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Perseverance

is the principle behind the Tenth Step of Alcoholics Anonymous.

Once I had learned about and put into practice the first nine steps, I was told that Step 10 is one of the "maintenance steps." As long as I remember that I'm not perfect and never will be perfect, step 10 offers me the chance to right my wrongs as they occur. It asks me to do so promptly and not waste time. This requires me to constantly inventory my behavior and never let up. If I let up, my character defects will jump right in and champion themselves. By persevering with my personal inventory, these defects can be kept minimal.

Make sense?


Oh yeah, a great example of perseverance is ...
"Don't give up 5 minutes before the miracle."
This can be true to so many of life's situations.

todAAy i AAm grAAteful & thAAnkful

that today I can't be perfect, but I can be excellent!

for gratitude meetings

that a newcomer is actually calling me on the phone

that I have Hayden's complete and total support for all things regarding my recovery -- I mention this after reading a few blogs the past several days in which spouses are not always supportive

that the tile guys will complete their work today on the bathroom #1 remodel -- the rest of the week will be the painters turn

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
-- Theodore Roosevelt

8 comments:

Pammie said...

OK..I'm going to adopt your "I can't be perfect, but I can be excellent" for the day. I need this. I hope I'm not excellently imperfect though.

Kathrin Ivanovic said...

THanks for your comment...I know that I have to talk to my parents, but there always seems to be something more important in their lives to talk about.

Thanks for your quote today! Always loved teddy!

K.

Scott M. Frey said...

I too am blessed to have the support of my wife...

Mary Christine said...

I am blessed with the support of my imaginary husband!

Scott W said...

Imaginary husband, eh?

Syd said...

I'm grateful for the support of my friends and my sponsor. I also have a feeling that my SO sees a difference in me that is an improvement over who I used to be.

peanut said...

Dear dAAve,

You rock !!

thank you for the beautiful back patio at Lambda.

I love you.

Anonymous said...

Good list!

Thanks for the heads up email this morning. Much appreciated.