Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Time is a Gift, not a Threat



todAAy i AAm grAAteful & thAAnfkul

that 1,460 days ago, I had been to nearly 100 meetings of Alcoholics Anonymous over the previous 3+ months although my alcohol intake was as heavy as ever

that 1,460 days ago, I drank 4 beers during the course of the day and night (a miracle in itself because that is only a fraction of my usual daily requirement)

that 1,460 days ago, the last beer of the day was at 11:30pm and it was the last alcohol I drank

that today I have an opportunity to see the world through sober eyes and a (somewhat) clear head

that I heard some things I needed to hear (or be reminded of) at the 6:30am meeting yesterday regarding patience

that I acted on a whim last night (unusual for me) and went to a movie by myself -- "Death at a Funeral" -- I highly recommend this very funny movie

Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.
-Dietrich Bonhoeffer

18 comments:

Trudging said...

Happy A.A. Birtday buddy. I enjoy you so much.

Mary Christine said...

I am so glad you are sober and a part of my sobriety. I will start baking tonight... any requests?

Scott W said...

MC, something without nuts. I cannot have them for medical reasons. Dave is a big enough nut anyway. He gets to start his fifth year tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Daave. I'm so glad you're sober and in my life.

peanut said...

Dear dAAve,

Happy Birthday !!!

I am so glad that AA "took" for you.

It took what it took. And look at you now.

I'm proud of and for you.

much love to you

Shannon said...

saaaweet Happy Birthday to you!

Pammie said...

MC - DAVE -SCOTT MY home computer crashed. Can not post a blog. :(
My network at the office allows me to comment, but that's all.

DAAVE-HAPPY BIRTHDAY SUGAR BUTT.
THAT IS AWESOME!!!

Anonymous said...

WOW, 5 years, that is great. Congratulations Dave. Keep up the excellent work.

Lisa

molly said...

Happy Birthday and CONGRATS!

Alcoholic Brain said...

Way to go dAAve. Happy B-Day. I like your blog a lot...

Unknown said...

Big 4. They say at 4 you hear a popping sound, which is your head popping out of your ass. Then you hear a sucking sound which is your head being sucked back in.
Congrats!
God bless.

Tabitha.Montgomery said...

You kick ass Dave :)
xo

Syd said...

Happy Birthday Dave. As usual, you have made me think about how terrible alcoholism is and how great recovery can be.

johno said...

Happy anniversary!! DAAve, I always thought you was a REALLY OLD WISE timer!! just shows me again, quality of sobriety, not always quantity!! Glad to have you around you, always make a difference :)

Scott M. Frey said...

so, what you're saying is that this is an anniversary fo sorts?? he he congrats my frined! A big sober hug to you, and go ahve a cup of coffee at Starbucks and recall our visit!

Phil said...

WOOHOO!! You rock, old man. I can't believe you have 5 years already -- I can't believe it's been only 5 years. :)

I'm so grateful you share your journey with us via your blog. You have been a great friend since the first days of my own sobriety, and I thank you for your wisdom, encouragement and a lot of LOLs.

May your life be blessed with many more days of sobriety and serenity!

lash505 said...

you are a stud..

My adventures said...

happy b-day and that movie was the funniest i've seen in a while... the hubby and i saw it while he was down here... we loved it!!!