Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Faith ...

is the principle behind Step Two of Alcoholics Anonymous.

When I read Step 2 on the wall at the first AA meeting or maybe my second meeting, I was about ready to get up and walk out. I wanted nothing to do with a Higher Power. I had not been to church in 30 years and wasn't about to start now.

Three months and about 100 meetings later, I was finally able to muster the bravado to admit that you guys -- the people in the meetings - could be my Higher Power. I was having none of this God stuff!

I put my faith in you guys because you said I could. You said it would suffice. For now.

You were right.

todAAy i AAm grAAteful & thAAnkful

that I am not going to write about 9/11 - I will leave that to others

that I much prefer to take action rather than think about it

for a wonderful meeting on Step 12 and input from many on numerous avenues of carrying the message

for the Twelve Steps of AA and an almost infinite number of recovery tools to help me get through the bad times ---
AND the good times too!

for the luxuries in my life, not highlighted by anger or resentment

for Johnny Depp

Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
-Will Rogers

8 comments:

Pammie said...

Daave, I am willing to share many things with you darlin'...but I'm sorry Johnny Depp is not one of them. If he EVER calls me, I'll talk trash about you...I will ;)

Mary Christine said...

I am going to have to remember that in good times or bad - I can always think of Johnny Depp and have a reason to be grateful for God's creation!

Scott W said...

Aarrrgghhh!

So, what if you're sittin' on the dock of the bay? Huh?

Anonymous said...

i like the 'taking action' these to this morning's post. reminds me of what i need to be doing. hope you have a good day...

Syd said...

It's the God of my understanding which eased things for me. I'm glad that today is different from last year, yesterday and six years ago.

JJ said...

I see you too.
oxox
JJ

lash505 said...

ok daave, we all believe to believe in something.

Trudging said...

I have heard the story of your spiritual awakening echoed 100 times before. Came, came to, came to believe. I am so glad that it works.