Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Spirituality

is the principle behind the Eleventh Step of Alcoholics Anonymous.

This was a tough one for me. I was so close-minded about anything spiritual when I first joined AA. I was still under the belief that spiritual = religous.

Finally, my life unravelled enough that I was ready to her what I needed to hear. Someone shared in a meeting that ...
AA is not a religous program. Religion is for people who don't want to go to hell. Spirituality is for those who have already been there.

Those few words opened the door for me just enough that I could get past a lifetime of prejudice against God and church. It was then that I could finally let go of my obsession to drink alcohol and stay drunk.

Step 3 has changed my life. And it still does.


todAAy i AAm grAAteful & thAAnkful

that I've been in a serenity zone for the past week

that my perceptions rarely have any basis in reality

that I'll visit my Mom in her nursing home this morning -- after a workout at the gym and an AA meeting

for all the items in my RECOVERY TOOL BOX
(click to inspect)


that our new gym will open in a couple of weeks; in the meantime, another gym has agreed to let us members use their facilities

that I am an agent of Satan, per Mickey

that tomorrow is hAAlf nAAked thursdAAy (get those cameras out now!)

that the painter begins work in the bathroom today -- it should take 2 days

Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God.
-Bob Moawad


8 comments:

Pammie said...

wait a minute...Satan? I thought you were a "shape shifting reptile". Damn, I guess you've been elevated. I love your tool box!

Scott W said...

Mickey is now doing parodies of recovery blogs and I have not reached the status to be lampooned. :-(

Shape shifting reptiles, I swear, is from the X Files.

Mary Christine said...

I am just mortified on so many levels after clicking on one of your links. God help us all.

peanut said...

Dear dAAve,

after reading the comments to your post this morning, I'm glad I'm not very curious.

Ignorance is bliss.

Love you

Kathrin Ivanovic said...

I love your thoughts about spirituality. Someone last night at a meeting told me to stick with meetings that are held at churches..that they are the best. On some level...I am uber uncomfortable with that...I often feel in more in the presence of greatness outside of a church building than within one. She seemed surprised that I could sense any type of spirituality at LoD. Anyway - thanks for reminding me of the distinction!
Have a great day!
Kindly,
K

Syd said...

God grant me the serenity to accept that Mickey is someone who I can't change,
The courage to delete his comments and the wisdom to not read his blog.

Unknown said...

"There are those too who suffer from grave..."

God bless him.

It's not the snake bite that kills you...It's letting the venom go through your veins.

Kathrin Ivanovic said...

Lesson learned - never ask questions you dont want the answers to. Crazy Mickey left me a dozen+ messages on my blog! What a nut!

I really think he missed the entire premise of the faith which he claims to practice. Its closer to harrassment than sharing "faith".

Have a great day!
K.