Monday, August 08, 2005

Keys of the Kingdom

I have had my share of problems, heartaches and disappointments because that is life, but also I have known a great deal of joy and a peace that is the handmaiden of an inner freedom. I have a wealth of friends and, with my A.A. friends, an unusual quality of fellowship. For, to these people, I am truly related. First, through mutual pain and despair, and later through mutual objectives and newfound faith and hope. And, as the years go by, working together, sharing our experiences with one another, and also sharing a mutual trust, understanding, and love --- without strings, without obligation --- we acquire relationships that are unique and priceless.

There is no more aloneness, with that awful ache, so deep in the heart of every alcoholic that nothing, before, could ever reach it. That ache is gone and never need return again.

Now there is a sense of belonging, of being wanted and needed and loved. In return for a bottle and a hangover, we have been given the Keys of the Kingdom.
ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, 4th EDITION, PAGE 276

4 comments:

Scott W said...

Hallejuah!

Phil said...

Beautiful!

Well expressed, Pat. I like to think that God has one kingdom, but gives each of us a different key to it. I'm grateful to have found one key in AA -- and I'm grateful others have found their own keys, through AVRT or anything else that fits the lock.

Phil said...

Say... You're not the Pat with the bunched-up drawers, are you???

One Drunk to Another said...

I was reading along and thinking, Gosh, you are such a great writer! I feel like I've read this before! It really resonates with me! Then I scrolled a bit and saw it was a quote out of the Big Book. Hee hee! Love it love it, as always. But, I had to chuckle at my silliness.