Monday, August 29, 2005

Of course, I drink. I'm an alcoholic!

Men and women drink essentially because they like the effect produced by alcohol. The sensation is so elusvie that, while they admit it is injurious, the cannot after a time differentiate the true from the false. To them, their alcoholic life seems the only normal one. They are restless, irritable and discontented, unless they can again experience the sense of ease and comfort which comes at once by taking a few drinks --- drinks which they see others taking with impunity.
ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, The Doctor's Opinion, Page XXIX

"... their alcoholic life seems the only normal one."
This was soooooooo me. I accepted early in my 32 year drinking career that I was an alcoholic. By doing this, I could justify any and all drinking. Whenever, wherever, and however much I drank.

Sound familiar?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah, quite familiar.

Scott W said...

It's just hateful to call me on my shit!

Phil said...

I played it every which way. I was "alcoholic" when it was convenient to justify my drinking -- on the occasions/weeks/years/eras I was so out of control even I couldn't deny it was abnormal. Most of the time, I played it to prove I wasn't alcoholic. I stopped hiding 6-packs in the garage when I remembered that was one of the signs of alcoholism! heehee