Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Reality makes me uncomfortable

It's still way too early for the news to come out, but ...

Hurricane Katrina has devastated the oil industry that is centered in southern Louisiana. A large number of crude oil refineries are there. Pipelines from offshore run through the Ports of Fourchon and Venice. Both of these small communities were ravaged by the storm. They may have been destroyed.

Most of the hundreds of supply boats use those ports, as well as inland ports in Morgan City and Houma. These boats are absolutely critical to operations offshore. Without them, nothing happens.

Hopefully, after the reports on the losses of life and property in New Orleans, Biloxi and Mobile, the media will let us know about the longer-term effect on all of us because of the loss of these ports. I can tell you this: as a nation, we will immediately become even more dependent on foriegn oil than ever before. This is not good, of course, but is is a fact.

Whatever you may currently think about our involvement in the Middle East, you may want to give it a second thought. At least until alternative fuels are developed and marketed. And that ain't gonna happen overnight.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow david, sounds like propaganda for Republicans

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Gas hit $3.00 a gallon in Brooklyn yesterday.

The war is SO WRONG!

Cheers,
Mr. H.K.
Postcards from Hell's
Kitchen

And I Quote Blog

Anonymous said...

My 40 mile hike to and from work everyday is going to get EXPENSIVE!!!

Hippie girl said...

Hey there, I just got my driving privliges back and I thought I'd be excited but ... Now I have the gas prices to look forward to.
Last time I commented on your blog a lady stopped by my blog from here and now I can't find her. I just wanted to say thanks for both of your support. I've been in Tx for a week seeing my kids and new grandbaby. I really got to enjoy some of the rewards of recovry. Life does have many wonderful gifts. And I am very grateful for them. stop over and see.
Ps I am tagging you. come see the questoins if you'd like. Peace!!!!

Jake McCafferty said...

Fourchon is mostly OK. I heard LOOP was good as well. I got an e-mail from a friend in Houma, who says they have electricity back in some parts. It's not an ideal situation, but better than New Orleans or Biloxi.

Now we do have to worry about the Port of New Orleans and some of those rigs in the Gulf. Could they structurally withstand the Cat 5 winds?

dAAve said...

Wow! That's great news to my ears.
Thanks Jake.

Phil said...

I'm glad there's some good news amid the devastation.

Trudging said...

Geeze! I started on the reading your Blog before I prayed this morning. That will teach me pray then Blog.

Phil said...

I take back what I said above. It looks like the devastation is just beginning in New Orleans, and all bets are off.

Prayers for the desperate residents of that besieged city.