Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Behaving with Gratitude

todAAy i AAm grAAteful & thAAnkful

for Mom's road trip yesterday to the dentist - a highly successful journey and her first descent into the outdoor world in 6 weeks

that I can be there today for her so that my sister doesn't have to shoulder the total weight of our Mom's illness

for the 2 most important words in Step Six of AA's Twelve Steps -- "were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character"

that as each day passes, I try a little bit less to hold on to some of my most glaring character defects

that these days my behaviour reflects my program of sobriety

for quiet afternoons and peaceful evenings by myself

that I almost always enjoy being with me

"If we treat people as they are, we make them worse.
If we treat people as they ought to be, we help them become what they are capable of becoming."
GOETHE via POSTCARDS FROM HELL'S KITCHEN 12/12/05

7 comments:

Shannon said...

I am truly happy to read your mom's progress everyday!

wow very cool quote at the end there... "If we treat people as they are, we make them worse.
If we treat people as they ought to be, we help them become what they are capable of becoming."
really made me think about some things... thanks

have a great day

Trudging said...

Oh yeah Step Six, I have tripped on it frequently over the years.

Anonymous said...

"were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character

What?!? I can’t keep the more useful ones? Heeheehee

Phil said...

You're a good son, Dave. Thanks for showing me your example.

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Say hi to Mom!

Sam said...

glad you have good news

David D said...

great to hear your gratitude. Yeah, you're OK to be around ;-)