Saturday, December 17, 2005

Making a Mountain out of a Molehill

Saw BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN yesterday. Went with 4 other gay friends. It's playing at the River Oaks Theatre, here in Houston. Apparently they have exclusive rights to showing this movie. whatEVER.

OK. The movie. What is all the uproar about? I don't see many movies, instead I prefer watching the television machine. I see more gay-related material on TV every week than this movie had. Sure, its a love story. Two cowboys. So what! Big deal! QUEER EYE FOR THE STRAIGHT GUY and WILL & GRACE are a lot racier than this movie. I think all the nay-sayers are giving this movie the publicity it needs to get viewers. The producers of Brokeback should take the right-wingers out for a night on the town in appreciation.

It's a decent movie, well written and well made. If this film wins all the Oscars they are talking about, it's been a pretty rough year for the cinematic industry. If they want to give it a bunch of awards just because it's ground-breaking, then they should create a category for that. Then they could make a movie about the far-right Christian bunch who one day actually exhibited love and tolerance for their fellow man. Now, that would be ground-breaking material! And it would be listed as science-fiction as well.

5 comments:

Hannen said...

Love the illustration! Watch Big Eden instead. A fine gay love story and you can hit pause when you want.

Unknown said...

Waadya expect? A holiday movie with "real" people? "Real" life. Hollywood creates their version of reality and most people eat it up like pablum accepting it for the real world. Geez I ziiging when I need to be zagging. I'm going to a meeting.

Anonymous said...

i thought it was disappointing... didn't quite live up to all the hype... the best part was getting up to leave and these two high-school looking straight girls were balling their eyes out.... by that, i was moved....( i know they were straight because i heard a lot of their conversation before the movie started )... overall, check out kiss kiss, bang bang.. if it's still playing... val kilmer plays gay perry... laugh out loud funny... dbv

JJ said...

Though I don't like listening to reviews of films because in my eyes who is this guy on the TV / newspaper / radio telling me if a film is good or bad BUT I have yet to here anything bad about this film and they are talking OSCAR...I can't wait to see it.
I see you,
JJ
PS: On another note one of my daughters put the movie Four Brothers on her Christmas list which doesn't come out until 4 days before Christmas...So I will be in the stores 4 days before Christmas..then again I will probably be there Christmas eve.

Scott W said...

I have mixed emotions about seeing this movie. What would be ground breaking would be a main stream movie about two men who fall in love, played by gay actors, not two straight guys who want us to be sure to know they are straight. Hollywood pissed me off!