Sunday, December 11, 2005

"... in all our affairs."

"The chief purpose of A.A. is sobriety. We all realize that without sobriety we have nothing.

However, it is possible to expand this simple aim into a great deal of nonsense, so far as the indivudual member is concerned. Sometimes we hear him say, in effect, 'Sobriety is my sole responsibility. After all, I'm a pretty fine chap, except for my drinking. Give me sobriety, and I've got it made!'

As long as our friend clings to this comfortable alibi, he will make so little progress with his real life problems and responsibilities that he stands in a fair way to get drunk again. This is why A.A.'s Twelfth Step urges that we 'practice these principles in all our affairs.' We are not living just to be sober; we are living to learn, to serve, and to love."
reprinted from AS BILL SEES IT - page 94

I find it very difficult to practice these principles in all my affairs. It is my goal, never to be completely attained. What are these principles?

Honesty
Faith
Hope
Courage
Integrity
Willingness
Humility
Brotherly Love
Discipline
Perseverance
Awareness of God
Service to Others

1 comment:

Phil said...

Coincidence that there are 12 principles? :)

Great post. As Bill Sees It is my current favorite AA book -- lots of messages for "practicing these principles in all our affairs." I frequently use it for my daily meditation reading.