Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Closure

It recently occurred to me that after I had completed Step 9 of AA's Twelve Steps, that what I was given was -- CLOSURE. I could then move forward in my personal recovery. Step 9 reads,

"Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others."

This is in reference to those we have hurt in our past drinking years. There are innumerable ways we have hurt others; verbally, physically, financially, emotionally.

When I had made my amends, which is not just an apology, but a committment to make things right and not repeat those past behaviours, I was provided with CLOSURE. I had done all I could do at that time and cleaned up my side of the street. As long as I can keep that committment to keep it clean, things seem to go much better in my life.

2 comments:

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Sounds empowering!

Cheers,
Mr. H.K.
Postcards from Hell's Kitchen
And I Quote Blog

Shannon said...

What a gift to get to see/feel the promises as thy come true!

:)