Friday, July 15, 2005

The day I fell in love

First, let's get this straight. I'm not.

I met Hayden on June 16, 2002 at a bar in Trinidad and Tobago. I was 48, he was 28. It was late at night as I had just arrived in TT from Houston. I was there (in Trinidad) to work.

We slept together from that first night. The following day, he more or less moved into my hotel room with me. Although I was working throughout each day, Hayden and I were able to spend a lot of time together, day and night. For some reason, he thought I drank too much, but didn't press the matter much.

We had been together about a week when I got jealous (one of my many, many character defects) and a verbal argument broke out. We were in the hotel room. I told him to pack his shit and leave. Just get out of my life. Of course, I had been drinking. Hayden grabbed me and threw me onto the bed, not-too-violently. He laid down next to me and said that he had to tell me something.

My mind began racing. All over the place. He was quiet for a few seconds, letting the somber moment take hold of me. I could not imagine what was coming, but I was as ready as I would ever be. For whatever he might have to tell me. Hayden looked me directly in the eyes and said,

"I was born a woman."

Now, ladies and gentleman, I've seen a lot and I've done a lot in my life. I'm no virgin and I've been around the block many times all over the world. I remember as clear as if it was 5 seconds ago, the first thought that went through my mind was that doctors can sure work some miracles these days. His private parts were perfection, surgery or not. I know that because I had been down there for the past week (enough said about that on this family blog).

After about 5 seconds, it finally hit me that he was joking. We both began laughing. We must have laughed for a solid minute. We laughed so hard that all the previous arguing was history.

Up to that episode, I knew Hayden was special, but I had no intention of anything more than a short affair. That's what I had always done. I didn't want a relationship or a commitment. That moment changed everything.

I was in love.

note --- we are no longer together. Hayden is back living in Trinidad, me in Houston. We talk infrequently on the phone and remain good friends. I have posted here before about Hayden being my Angel. He saved my life. Twice. Here's some more of our history.

4 comments:

Recovery Road London said...

FYI:

===================================
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 18:15:29 -0700
From: "Blogger Support" support@blogger.com Add to Address Book
To: "RootsRadical {U 5949399 B 9767894}" rootsradicaluk@yahoo.co.uk
Subject: Re: [#247167] Offensive and hateful


Hello Kenny,

Thanks for writing us regarding this blog. We will
examine it soon and
take action as necessary.

Sincerely,
Blogger Support



Original Message Follows:
------------------------
From: RootsRadical {U 5949399 B 9767894}
rootsradicaluk@yahoo.co.uk
Subject: Offensive and hateful
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 05:33:54 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Blogger.com

I love my blog and I think you do a great job, thanks.

I find this blogger.com blog offensive

http://wekillgays.blogspot.com/

Am I being too sensitive or should you delete this
purile and offensive
rubbish?

regards

Kenny

Recovery Road London said...

Thanks for sharing your story with me/us. I like a love story; I'm a romantic underneath the prickly exterior.

:-)

JJ said...

I too love a love story. I love love. Falling in love, being in love, feeling love. Unfortunately, haven't done any of those things in a long time. Thanks for sharing HP.
Peace,
JJ

Anonymous said...

Having met the love of your life the photo doesn't do Hayden justice