Saturday, July 30, 2005

Hot Diggety Dog

I've told you guys before that I'm a baseball fan. Well, make that a baseball nut. The game has been a part of my psyche since I was 12 years old. I see a lot of games.

I took a friend to see the Astros-Mets game Thursday night. The Astros are really hot right now and can't seem to do much wrong. As a result, the fans are showing them the support they deserve. Big crowds. Big excitement. Big noise. This night was no different as it was a sell-out crowd.

Thursday night was Dollar Dog Night. Normally, the hot dogs (6") cost $3.75. so when they sell those little round pieces of meat? for $1, they sell fast and furious. We noticed that a guy sitting close to us sat down with a tray-full of 10-12 dogs. They come in paper sleeves; nothing more than a hot dog and a cold bun. No fixin's (that's a southern term). Dont' get me wrong; you can put mustard and mayo, relish and onions on 'em if you want, but a guy with that many hot dogs ain't gonna have the time to do that. Not if he wants to see any of the ball game.

About the 5th inning, we decided to get a couple of dogs too. The concession areas were packed, I mean packed with people lined up (in queue, for you Brits) waiting to get their dollar dinner. Every area that sells them had at least 100, maybe 200 people waiting in line. Probably a 15 or 20 minute wait. Forget that. I heard yesterday on the radio that the Astros had sold 51,000 hot dogs Thursday night.

We bought ice cream cones instead. No waiting.

And the Astros won 3-2.

1 comment:

Scott W said...

Are you trying to scare DoughGirl with all this hot dog talk?