Saturday, July 23, 2005

Thy Will Be Done

"Practical experience shows that nothing will so much insure immunity from drinking as intensive work with other alcoholics. It works when other activities fail. This is our twelfth suggestion. Carry this message to other alcoholics! You can help when no one else can. You can secure their confidence when others fail. Remember they are very ill.

Life will take on new meaning. To watch people recover, to see them help others, to watch loneliness vanish, to see a fellowship grow up about you, to have a host of friends -- this is an experience you must not miss."
ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, Page 89

Tonight, I have been asked to tell my story at a meeting of Alcoholics Anonymous. It is at a meeting I have not missed since before I stopped drinking, almost 23 months ago. There are typically 50-75 other recovering alcoholics in attendance. The rules are simple: just state what it was like, what happened and what it is like now. I am humbled and I know that a few of my tears shall flow as I speak of the series of events that brought me down, to my "bottom." It never fails when I talk about that part of my life journey.

My biggest apprehension is how to cram 32+ years of alcohol abuse into 55 minutes. I have made a very general outline in my mind but I haven't decided exactly what to say or how to say it. Nor will I.

I prayed for guidance last night and will pray again before going on-stage. God (as I understand Him) shall speak through me so that I may carry my message to other alcoholics.

Thy will, not mine, be done.

4 comments:

JJ said...

Hey HP - I find that I like to listen to people who tell me more about how they are remaining clean and sober than their stories of when they were drunk or stoned. You know - uplifting - inspiring - all of which I'm sure you will be. I've been to speaker meetings where it seemed more like a "pissing match" than an AA meeting. The who can out do who type stuff. I am positive you will do just fine. Picture everyone naked or half nAAked...lol. I wish I could be there to hear your story because I'm sure it would inspire me.
Peace,
JJ
PS: When exactly is your sober date?

Scott W said...

And how cool is it that your mom will be with us tonight as you tell your bawdy adventure story? Very cool. Will Pat record it? Maybe you could do an audio blog? Is this too many questions?

Anonymous said...

David, I'm really very sorry that I can't join you and your mother for dinner tonight, but you can bet I will be there for the primary event. Your story will be an inspiration to all of us. QN

Anonymous said...

David U.,

I am sad I can not be there with you..I am sick sick sick with a TERRIBLE summer cold and barely made it through work today. I can not remember when I felt this bad besides the flu.BUT enough about ME.
I did look at the clock tonite and said a prayer and my sober spirit is with you as ALWAYS while you remain sober with me.

xoxox
Dennis R.