Friday, July 01, 2005

Live for Today

About 3 weeks ago, I was lucky enough to hear a sober alcoholic, Dan O., speak for an hour about what it used to be like. About what happened. And what it's like now.

He had not been to our gay recovery center before; he came from a different AA center here in Houston (straight - not that there's anything wrong with that).

He was extremely entertaining. He was down to earth. He was full of life. Maybe just a little rough around the edges, but I certainly could appreciate where he was coming from. His story of Experience, Strength and Hope was told in a way that kept me leaning forward, waiting for the next morsel.

We learned yesterday that Dan was killed last weekend in a motorcycle accident in Colorado. I am so very grateful that I (we) had the chance, the opportunity, to hear Dan's story before he was taken from us. I am also grateful that I decided to go to that meeting; I might otherwise have stayed home and watched my beloved Astros play on the TV. I am so grateful that I put sobriety the #1 priority in my life today. Without that, I would not have the chance to hear God's children share their message about living sober.

2 comments:

TLP said...

How sad and tragic. You know, you'll never forget him. So, in that way, he lives.

Scott W said...

His was a great and moving story and his anecdote describing the god of his childhood as a cross between Santa Claus and Hitler was hysterical. Life does move on without us after a point.