Monday, July 11, 2005

Freedom and Happiness

I go to an AA meeting at 6:30am Monday thru Friday. Once again, this morning, I was reminded about some of The Promises made in The Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous.

"We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness."
ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, PAGE 83

At nearly 2 years into my new life, I have the freedom from the obsession, the craving, the absolute powerlessness not to drink on a daily basis. I have the freedom offered by sobriety in that I can choose to do things during the course of my day that I did not have the choice of doing before. My days are no longer scheduled around my level of drunkeness.

I have a happiness that I've never experienced in my 51+ years. Admittedly, much of that happiness is because of the freedoms that I listed above. Just as important however, is the feeling of serenity within myself that I have every day. Some call it peace of mind. I know that when I can turn my day over to my higher power, the serenity that accompanies this fills my mind and soul. I feel that I can handle anything that may come my way. Without needing to run away or isolate. Without having to handle difficult situations by myself.

I know I am not unique in these feelings. Millions of recovering alcoholics before me have had the same experience. But they are new to me. My hope is that I can pass this feeling to anyone who wants it --- by my actions and my words. By doing this, it shall continue inside of me.

4 comments:

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Ahhhh CHOICE!

I remember I read a quote once from a guy that invented Random Emotive Therapy...

We make a choice to be happy.

Once I got that... I could choose it rather than choosing to be a victim every day!

CHOICE. A powerful powerful word!

Cheers,
Mr. H.K.
Postcards from Hell's Kitchen
And I Quote Blog

Scott W said...

I agree with Devil Boy.

admin said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Trudging said...

Recovery rocks dosen't it.