Sunday, July 17, 2005

Happiness

The new life of sobriety we are learning to live in A.A. is slowly growing on us and we are beginning to get some of that deep peace of mind and serenity that we never thought were possible. At first we may have doubted that this could happen to us, but after any considerable length of time in A.A., looking at the happy faces around us, we know that somehow it is happening to us. In fact, it cannot help happening to anyone who takes the A.A. program seriously day by day. Can I see my own happiness reflected in the faces of others?

TWENTY-FOUR HOURS A DAY, Thought for the Day, July 17


Today's Quote ...

"In pursuit of happiness, the difficulty lies in knowing when you have caught up."
R.H. Grenville

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happiness is a journey.

Diane said...

Happiness is something that eludes you if you don't know how to stop being miserable first.
Unfortunately, I didn't learn that for a long while.
I like your blog. It's trés interesting.
Found you through the infamous Chad Fox.
Diane

Anonymous said...

Do you know who R.H. Grenville is?
This particular quote has been used numerous times on different lists, blogs, newsletters etc. And does ponder some thought ......

Searching for these things fell upon your site (blog)and since you posted it nearly two years ago you might even have an answer now ...

It might interest you to know that this person, R.H. Grenville, is a woman and she will be 90 years old this year. She is my mother. So there.

C. Rowley

mimja said...

Oh my. I came across a clipping of a poem published in Capper's years ago. I had no idea who the poet was and am so pleased to discover this. The poem is "Fireworks:
Over the town, flares and rockets;
cries of awe and admirattion.
In dark, damp woods beside the lake,
the fireflies' silent celebration." I wonder if I could have permission to use it for my July "signature" on my e-mails.

Karyn Huenemann said...

I am an instructor at SFU, currently researching early Canadian female authors in all genres for a multi-site bibliographic project. I am seeking any information (especially a list of published works and biographical information) on R. H. Grenville, so that we can include her in our database. I am hoping that C. Rowley will contact me at khuenema@sfu.ca.

lee white said...

Karyn,
My daughter,33, is about to be married. I am giving her a poem my Mother gave to me in 1969, when I was married. It is called "Sonnet for a Bride" by R.H.Grenville.
I cannot find a published date. I now know Grenville was published as early as her 21st year. If you do not have the verse in your research, let me know. I live in Australia. I have the original piece of paper with fancy bouquet and scroll work around the poem and it seemed old even when my Mother gave it to me in 1969.
regards, lee white, esthea@tpg.com.au