Sunday, July 03, 2005

Independence Day

I'm as patriotic as the next guy and more so than many. I love my country even with all its characters and their defects. However, since IT'S ALL ABOUT ME, Independence Day today means ...

... I no longer need to drink alcohol
... I no longer resent others for my perceptions of them
... I no longer push friends out of my life
... I no longer plan my days around my alcohol consumption
... I no longer pass out at night in order to get some sleep
... I no longer ignore the wishes of others so that I can get fucked up to oblivion
... I no longer panic when a cop is in my rearview mirror
... I no longer expect others to be more than they are
... I no longer panic when there's less than a 6-pack in the fridge
... I no longer go 2 or 3 days without food consumption
... I no longer have to sleep it off during the afternoon, just so I can get started again
... I no longer have to lie to my friends or make excuses why I can't be somewhere
... I no longer have enexplainable bumps and bruises
... I no longer need to have someone else tell me what I did last night
... I no longer make unitelligible phone calls at odd hours (or any hours)
... I no longer cry because I'm depressed or lonely

There are more. I think you get the gist of why I feel INDEPENDENT today.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jerry D (Lambda's only possible revered saint)once commented, now more than 20 years ago, that freedom used to mean to him "a word for nothing left to lose." Of course, he borrowed that phrase from a Janis Joplin song, but if you think about it, you discover whole new levels of meaning to the first "promise" in AA. Queen Noor

Recovery Road London said...

Y'know I was with you every single step of the way on that one...EVERY STEP...(except the bit about the rearview mirror because I never learned to drive).

That might be your best post yet.

Thank you.

*hug*

Anonymous said...

Amen.

Travis