Saturday, July 02, 2005

Texas Trivia


It seems that about half of my regular readers are from Texas. I'm sure you guys will already know these things; for the rest of you, try to take this all in for future reference.

In Texas, the first municipal high school was established in Brenham in 1875.

Texas has 367 miles of coastline.

The film "Terms of Endearment" was filmed in the River Oaks section of Houston.

It is estimated that there were once 60,000,000 head of buffalo in Texas.

Ben Hogan was the first native Texan to win the British Open.

Billionaire Howard Hughes was born in Houston in 1905. He's buried there too.

Star Trek was created by El Paso native Gene Roddenberry.

It is 801 miles between the most northern and the most southern borders of Texas.

Texas ranks first nationally in the production of portland cement.

The sunniest city in the USA is El Paso, according to the National Weather Service.

Dean Martin had a hit recording with the title of "Houston".

Glen Campbell had a hit recording with the title of "Galveston".

Teddy Roosevelt's Rough Riders were trained in San Antonio.

In 1923, Dallas introduced the nation's first automatic traffic signals.

Halletsville hosts the annual South Texas Polka and Sausage Festival.

Sandra Day O'Connor was born in El Paso.

Don't say I never told ya.

6 comments:

Scott W said...

Dave tells me this is all from a book. Dave owns at least one book and the bank has no part of it. Wonders will never cease.

GodlessMom said...

Hey, I didn't know a lot of those things! I don't really count as a Texan though since I've been recently transplanted.

Anonymous said...

What is Scott talking about? Just wondering and plain folk Nor Nor

dAAve said...

GM - I guess you're one of the transplants who says, "I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could."

QN - to understand Scott and I, you must become a fly on the wall

TLP said...

Okay. I won't ever say you never told me. Thanks for the info.

Guess you're a PROUD Texan.

dAAve said...

Make that a GAY PROUD Texan.